I have been working on my International Foods Project for over 17 years. I’m making my way through the world cuisines cooking alphabetically and I have yet to get to H! And this, despite the fact that I have skipped many cuisines on my way here. I am taking this as the opportunity to visit them – albeit cooking just one dish from each instead of a full meal. So far, none of these dishes have wowed me: perhaps there was a reason why I skipped the cuisines in the first place.
What we had were:
- An Afrikaans Melktart – this custard tart was actually quite good!
- Pollo a la Jardín de San Marcos – a tasty chicken dish from Aguascalientes with a very romantic story attached to it.
- A not-very-successful pancake from the Aland Islands in the Baltic Sea.
- Trinxat, a potato and cabbage mash from Andorra.
- A very fun jello cake from the Caribbean island of Bonaire
- I went back over two thousand years with a lentil soup from Classical Greece.
- A pretty intense mango sorbet from French Guiana.
I have ten more “make up” cuisines to go before moving on to finish the “Gs” (I thought I was finished, and then I found six more G cuisines!). My hope is to start H at least by the end of the year.