Earlier this week I noticed that a small cheesesteak restaurant had opened on Bancroft near Dutton, and today I had the opportunity to go give it a try. It was an OK experience, it’s a place I’d go back but not rush back to.
Al Attles’ serves hoagies and rice plates, and on this occasion both Mike and I had the steak & cheese hoagy ($8). We also ordered a portion of onion rings ($3.25).
The onion rings were fine. The breading was less flavorful than what I would have liked, and they weren’t served with ranch dressing, which I would also have liked, but they tasted as if they were made with fresh oil. They weren’t greasy, which I did like.
The hoagies were also much less greasy than those served at other local establishment. The meat was mostly lean, the vegetables (grilled onions, green peppers, lettuce and tomatoes) fresh, and the sandwich quite large. It was a bit unwieldy, however, and the meat kept falling off, so I mostly ended up eating a veggie sandwich. The flavor was fine, the meat (when there) was a bit overwhelmed by the other flavors, but all in all, I liked it. It didn’t awe me, though.
Service was very good. The small restaurant doesn’t have anything resembling ambiance, but it’s a cheese steak restaurant after all.
Al Attles’ California Cheese Steaks
571 Bancroft Ave.
San Leandro, Ca
M-Th 11 AM – 7 PM
F 11Am – ?
Sa 12 – ?
- Christmas Eve Dinner 2022 – An Easy(ish) Family Christmas
- Thanksgiving 2022 – Menu & Recipes
- HelloFresh Coconut Curry Chicken Recipe
- Filippo Berio Tomato & Ricotta Pesto – Review
- Braised Short Ribs with Pomegranate Molasses
- Black Irish Irish Cream: Taste Just Like Baileys
- Garlic Braised Short Ribs With Red Wine
- Morning Star Vegan Meats: Are they Diabolic?
- Primal Kitchen Beef & Mushroom Bowl – Review
- Tapsilog Express in San Leandro offers tasty, quick Filipino silogs
- Debra sarver on Finca Helechal Ibérico Sampler: Review
- Thanksgiving 2022 – Menu & Recipes | Marga's Food Blog on Granny’s Sponge cake with lemon frosting – Recipe
- Thanksgiving 2022 – Menu & Recipes | Marga's Food Blog on Blue Cheese and Caramelized-Onion Squares
- Thanksgiving 2022 – Menu & Recipes | Marga's Food Blog on Bacon & Banana
- Silvia on Online scam against restaurant owners
Meal Kit Reviews
Meal Kit Discount Codes
- Every Plate – $20 off your first box
- Freshly – $20 off each first two boxes
- Gobble – 2 meal kits for $18
- Hello Fresh – $40 off
- Home Chef – $35 off your first box
- Sun Basket – $40 off your first box
Tagsbbq beef Blue Apron boneless chicken buffets burgers chain restaurants cheese chicken Christmas closed restaurants desserts Dinnerly frozen food Gobble hayward Hello Fresh HelloFresh meal kit reviews Home Chef Indian Indian food Italian Italian food Las Vegas Las Vegas buffets meal kit hacks mushrooms pasta pastries pizza Plated Refrigerated Meals Reviews restaurant reviews safeway San Leandro sauces short ribs Soup steak Sun Basket tacos thai vegan vegetarian
- Argentina (7)
- Bread (4)
- Cafes, Bakeries, Ice Cream… (38)
- Cheese (15)
- Classes (5)
- Cookbooks (18)
- Deals (5)
- Dinner (69)
- Drinks (21)
- Equipment (13)
- Events (9)
- Fairs & Festivals (8)
- Feedback (7)
- Food for Tots (17)
- Food Items (182)
- Fun with Food (3)
- Grocery Outlet (81)
- Ice Cream (13)
- Ideas (4)
- International Project (5)
- Invitations (3)
- Links (19)
- Lists (9)
- Meal Kits (105)
- Menus (65)
- Methods (12)
- Recipes (250)
- Restaurants (416)
- Shops & Markets (39)
- Snacks (13)
- Text (61)
- Uncategorized (12)
- Wine (53)
- Wine Tasting (18)
Posts in this blog may contain affiliate links.