Yesterday my friend Lola and I went to California’s Gold Country, for our yearly girls’ weekend out. We drove east until we heat 49, and then north. We stopped in Sonora for lunch. We picked Alfredo’s as it was the first restaurant we walked by after we parked.
Alfredo’s occupies a very nice room in historical downtown Sonora. The main wall is brick with recessed shelves here and there displaying Maya and Aztec ceramics. Other walls have orange hues and there are couple of large stereotypical Mexican wall paintings. It’s both stylish and informal at the same time.
Service was very good, the waiter was very attentive – and chips and drinks, and then food, came quickly to the table.
The major problem we had with Alfredo’s was the food. It was just bland. Nothing had been adequately salted or spiced – it’s as if they were cooking for middle-American seniors with high blood pressure (which may be their target audience, for all I know). The menu was your typical Tex-Mex, with entrees at $9 to $12.50. There is also a children’s menu.
I ordered the Botana Combo ($8.75), which included four different appetizers: a good portion of guacamole, 4 beef taquitos, 1 plain quesadilla and 3 bacon wrapped shrimp. None of it was good. I love guacamole, but this one needed some lemon to perk it up. You could taste the corn tortillas on the taquitos, but the meat filling was to bland to come through. The quesadilla was just a cheese stuffed tortilla, with nothing to make it special. And while I didn’t try the shrimp, as I don’t like shrimp at all, Lola thought they were quite mediocre.
Lola had the same complaints of blandness vis a vis her entree, a combo plate of a beef tamale and a chicken enchilada ($10.55). She described the enchilada as “just an American enchilada” and while she praised the fluffy and light masa of the tamale, she thought the filling was bland and unsurprising.
As you’d expect, we wouldn’t stop at Alfredo’s again – but if you prefer bland food, this may be the place for you.
Alfredo’s Mexican Restaurant
123 S. Washington St.
- Christmas Eve Dinner 2022 – An Easy(ish) Family Christmas
- Thanksgiving 2022 – Menu & Recipes
- HelloFresh Coconut Curry Chicken Recipe
- Filippo Berio Tomato & Ricotta Pesto – Review
- Braised Short Ribs with Pomegranate Molasses
- Black Irish Irish Cream: Taste Just Like Baileys
- Garlic Braised Short Ribs With Red Wine
- Morning Star Vegan Meats: Are they Diabolic?
- Primal Kitchen Beef & Mushroom Bowl – Review
- Tapsilog Express in San Leandro offers tasty, quick Filipino silogs
- Debra sarver on Finca Helechal Ibérico Sampler: Review
- Thanksgiving 2022 – Menu & Recipes | Marga's Food Blog on Granny’s Sponge cake with lemon frosting – Recipe
- Thanksgiving 2022 – Menu & Recipes | Marga's Food Blog on Blue Cheese and Caramelized-Onion Squares
- Thanksgiving 2022 – Menu & Recipes | Marga's Food Blog on Bacon & Banana
- Silvia on Online scam against restaurant owners
Meal Kit Reviews
Meal Kit Discount Codes
- Every Plate – $20 off your first box
- Freshly – $20 off each first two boxes
- Gobble – 2 meal kits for $18
- Hello Fresh – $40 off
- Home Chef – $35 off your first box
- Sun Basket – $40 off your first box
Tagsbbq beef Blue Apron boneless chicken buffets burgers chain restaurants cheese chicken Christmas closed restaurants desserts Dinnerly frozen food Gobble hayward Hello Fresh HelloFresh meal kit reviews Home Chef Indian Indian food Italian Italian food Las Vegas Las Vegas buffets meal kit hacks mushrooms pasta pastries pizza Plated Refrigerated Meals Reviews restaurant reviews safeway San Leandro sauces short ribs Soup steak Sun Basket tacos thai vegan vegetarian
- Argentina (7)
- Bread (4)
- Cafes, Bakeries, Ice Cream… (38)
- Cheese (15)
- Classes (5)
- Cookbooks (18)
- Deals (5)
- Dinner (69)
- Drinks (21)
- Equipment (13)
- Events (9)
- Fairs & Festivals (8)
- Feedback (7)
- Food for Tots (17)
- Food Items (182)
- Fun with Food (3)
- Grocery Outlet (81)
- Ice Cream (13)
- Ideas (4)
- International Project (5)
- Invitations (3)
- Links (19)
- Lists (9)
- Meal Kits (105)
- Menus (65)
- Methods (12)
- Recipes (250)
- Restaurants (416)
- Shops & Markets (39)
- Snacks (13)
- Text (61)
- Uncategorized (12)
- Wine (53)
- Wine Tasting (18)
Posts in this blog may contain affiliate links.