5/13 Update: Lucky continues running this promotion from time to time, but the quantities of meat you get are lower, so the prices have increased. The ones advertised this week are noted in bold. Do note, that sometimes you find larger packets at the supermarket than those advertised.
I like to do my menu-planning based on the meat that’s on sale at my local supermarkets in a given week. Not only does that save money, but it gives me a place where to start deciding on recipes. Lucky’s has been offering a deal that has you buy 5 packages of meat for $25. You can pick and choose between different offerings marked with the “pick 5” sticker, but you must buy at least 5 packages to get the deal.
I couldn’t find a list of what items were available with this deal, so I decided to go to Lucky’s and look for myself. I noted the cuts, the maximum weight of the packages available under the deal (and note that some may be over 50% heavier than others) and the original price, so that I could see what were the maximum savings that you could accumulate. These varied from 13-cents a pound for leg quarters (which you can get for even less at Grocery Outlet) to $4.75lb for boneless New York steak. I will have to pay more attention to prices, but I don’t think the prices on this sale are lower than on other sales, and you have to buy $25 worth of meat to take advantage of this deal (which, honestly, is not hard unless you are buying chicken).
Lucky says you can pick “from over 60 cuts”, though I only found 21 at the Lucky’s in San Leandro (I can’t imagine I missed more than a couple). Here is what you can get, at least today, though I don’t think the offerings vary that much.
- Salmon, packages up to 1.15lbs ($4.35lb), regular price $6lb. Potential savings up to $1.65 per lb. Now, up to 12 oz, price increase 33%
- Large shrimp, ~1 lb packages, regular price $9lb, on sale at Safeway for $7lb. Potential savings up to $2-$4lb.
- Foster Farms chicken thighs, bone/skin in, packages up to 4.7 lbs (~$1.05lb), regular price $2lb. Potential savings up to 94cents lb.
- Foster Farms leg quarters, up to 3lbs ($1.66lb), regular price $1.79lb. Potential savings up to 13c lb. Note: These are often available at Grocery Outlet for $1.30lb.
- Foster Farms drumsticks, up to 4 lbs ($1.25lb). Didn’t note original price.
- Foster Farm boneless chicken breasts, packages up to 1.7lbs (~$3lb), regular price $5lb. Potential savings up to $2lb. Now up to 20 oz, price increase 25%
- Foster Farm boneless/skinless chicken breasts, packages up to 1.5lbs ($3.33lb), regular price $6lb. Potential savings up to $2.66lb
- Foster farm thin slice chicken breast fillets, up to 1.25lb ($4lb), regular price $6lb. Potential savings up to $2lb
- Foster Farm ground turkey, 2lbs ($2.50lb) No original price on package.
- Foster Farm ground turkey breast, 20 oz ($4lb). No original price on package @ Lucky’s, package on sale at Safeway for $6. Potential savings $1 on 20 oz.
- Foster Farm white turkey lunch meat, 2lbs ($2.50lb) No original price on package.
- Lamb shoulder chops, packages up to 1.17 oz (~$4.25lb), regular price $6lb. Potential savings up to $1.75lb
- Laura’s Tri-Tip, packages up to .7lbs ($7.15lb), regular price $8lb. Potential savings up to 75-cents lb. Note: tri-tip steaks at Safeway are on sale for $6lb, for a savings of $2lb over Lucky’s
- NY Steak, bone in, packages up to .9lbs ($5.50lb), regular price $10lb. Potential savings up to $4.5lb. Note: NY steaks are often on sale at Safeway for $5lb.
- NY steak, boneless, up to .8lb ($6.25lb), regular price $11lb. Potential savings up to $4.75lb.
- Seasoned boneless NY steak, for carne asada, up to .8lbs ($6.25lb), regular price $11lb. Potential savings up to $4.75lb
- Chuck cross rib steak, thin cut, up to 1.5lbs ($3.33lb), regular price $5lb, on sale for $4lb at Safeway. Potential savings 70c to $1.66lb.
- Petit sirloin steaks, up to 1.25lbs ($4lb), regular price $5lb, on sale at Lucky’s for $4lb.
- 85% lean ground beef, up to 1.3 lbs ($3.85lb), regular price $4.29lb. Potential savings up to 45c lb. Note: Safeway has 93%lean ground beef for $3lb. Now up to 1.5 lbs, price down
- Pork loin chops, boneless, up to 1.5lbs ($3.33lb), regular price $6lb. Potential savings $2.66lb
- Country style ribs, up to 4 lbs ($1.25lb), regular price $1.88lb. Potential savings up to 38c lb
Flat iron steak is a newish cut in America that has become popular at posh restaurants. There are only 4 flat iron steaks per cow, so it’s not a cut that you can often find at supermarkets (though Safeway sell them pre-packaged). They were on sale for $4 lb at Lucky’s this week so I bought some for dinner. Mika loved them. Though they had a thick piece of connecting tissue in the middle, the steaks themselves are very tender. They are not terribly flavorful, however, though a good sauce can take care of that. At $4 lb, they are a great alternative to filet mignon.
I grilled them on the BBQ grill outside and they are quick and easy to prepare: pre-heat the grill on medium-high, salt & pepper the steaks, brush with olive oil, grill on each side for 4 minutes for medium rare, let rest for at least 5 minutes before serving.
I’ll definitely buy this cut again when it’s available at this price.