|Margarita's International Recipes|
This is an extremely easy and quick marinade with surprisingly good results.
The original recipe was for lamb kebab, but I was already planning to make a lamb dish so I decided to make beef kebabs instead. I usually prefer using "choice" cuts, but they are not sold at our local supermarket and this time I was in a hurry so I bought a "select" tri-tip cut. I'm not sure if it was the meat or the marinade, but the resulting kebabs were incredibly tender and quite flavorful. However, they tasted too much of cognac, which I didn't think went that well with the meat. If I cooked this again, I'd used red wine instead.
Marga's Modified Beef Kebab Recipe
2 Lbs. tri-tip steak 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp ground cumin 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper 2 tbsp. cognac or 1/4 cup dry red wine. 3 yellow onions, quartered
Cut meat into 1-inch cubes. Add salt, cumin, pepper and wine. Mix well and marinate overnight.
Put pieces of meat on a skewer alternating with onion quarters. Grill until done to your taste.
Original Kebab Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless lamb steak cut into 1-in cubes
- 3 medium onions, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cuminseed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cognac arak, or dry red wine
1. Mix everything together & marinate for 1 to 1-1/2 hrs. This distributes flavors & tenderizes meat.
2. Put 4 pieces of lamb alternating w/onion quarters on each metal skewers. Grill over charcoal, traditional method, for 10 mins, or to taste: rare, medium, or well-done. Serve warm w/other Afghan foods.